Melrose Kids Camp: Young Makers (9-12)
Event Type: Technology Classes|
Start Time: 11:00 AM
End Time: 1:00 PM
Go from idea to invention with hands-on training in 3D design, electronics, basic engineering and robotics.
Library: Melrose Center
Registration is required with a Library card in good standing. A materials fee of $25 applies per student. Payment must be received to secure seat, and seats are limited, so register today! Age requirements: 9-12.
Day 1, October 20: 3D Printing: Create a Race Car: With easy-to-use 3D modelling software, design and create a model race car using custom shape and object tools. Learn how to give your 3D objects a realistic look and texture.
Day 2, October 21: Squishy Circuits: Create circuits and explore electronics using conductive dough. Make your Squishy Animal come to life with lights! Learn to make the dough from safe non-toxic household items.
Day 3, October 22: 3D Design and JitterBots: Use 3D design software and a 3D printer to customize a simple robot. Build a complete JitterBot with motors, batteries and LED lights.
Day 4, October 23: Soldering Basics: Build a simple circuit with a soldering iron and components. Learn to safely use a soldering iron correctly to join components and wires.
Day 5, October 24: Create a Custom Glider with the Silhouette Cutter: Create a customized glider using the Silhouette Cameo electronic cutting machine. Learn the basics of the Silhouette Studio graphic design software including adding shapes, designs and text.
Status: Payment Required
Guidelines for Class Registration:
- Most classes are free to Orange County Library District cardholders, fee cardholders, and Orange County Property Owner cardholders. Some classes may include a materials fee. To pay for your class, please call 407.835.7323 or visit any of our locations in person.
- Library account must be in good standing in order to attend a class.
- Non-Library cardholders may attend an in-person class or an online class by paying a $10 non-refundable fee at the time of registration. An additional materials fee may apply for in-person classes. To pay for your class please call us at 407.835.7323 or visit any of our locations in person.
- All classes start on time. Registration closes at the start of class. Those on the waiting list will have access to the class only if there is a cancellation. Those already registered for the class have a 10 minute window to arrive to class, otherwise will not be admitted in the class.
- The Library reserves the right to close classes with no registration on the same day the class is offered.
- To register for a class, please stop by any of our locations, call 407.835.7323, or visit www.ocls.info/ComputerClasses.
- To cancel a class, please stop by any of our locations, call 407.835.7323, or visit www.ocls.info/CancelClass.
- A $5 late cancellation fee will be charged unless reservations are cancelled by 11:59 pm the day before the class is scheduled.
- Before signing up for a class, ask one of our staff to find out what the recommended prerequisites are for the classes.
- Any person requiring special accommodations to participate in a class or program due to a disability may arrange for reasonable accommodations by contacting the location at which the event is held at least seven days prior to the event.
*Class schedule is subject to change.